Building Permit Information

Working Without a Permit

Any person working within the city limits on any property that is not that person's primary residence who erects, constructs, alters, or repairs a building or structure without the required permits or licenses in violation of City Ordinance 3392 will be subject to a $500 penalty and triple permit fee. 

Where to Obtain a Permit

Permits can be applied for online at our Citizen Self Service (CSS) portal. Permit applications are also available online or can  be obtained at City Hall in the Public Works Permit Office located at:

710 E. San Augustine
Deer Park, TX 77536

Types of Permits

The type of permit required for a project depends upon the type of project.

Type of Permit
Certificate of OccupancyBusiness name changes
New owners
Commercial Building Permit
Commercial additions and remodels
New commercial buildings
Parking lots
Electrical Permit
Any type of residential or commercial electrical work requires a permit. SEE REQUIREMENTS FOR GENERATOR PERMITS (PDF)
Floodplain Permit
Any type of work performed in a flood zone area
Mechanical Permit
Air conditioning, heating, and boilers
Plumbing Permit
All plumbing work (water heaters, re-piping, sewer work, irrigation, etc.)
Residential Building Permit
Exterior siding
Fence (if you are replacing more than 50% of one side)
Foundation repairs
New residential homes
Patio and patio cover
Remodels and additions
Storage sheds
Swimming pools
Stormwater Permit
Any time more than one acre of land will be disturbed
Underground Construction
Any underground work performed in the city right of way