Juvenile (persons who are under the age of 17) - If you are classified as a Juvenile (under the age of 17) under Texas State law and charged with a traffic or criminal violation, you must appear in Court with a parent or a legal guardian.

Minor (persons who are over 16 but under the age of 21) - Any person under the age of 21 charged with alcohol, curfew or tobacco violation must appear in court.

Juvenile court is held the first Thursday of each month at 4 p.m., excluding holidays.

Appearing in Court

When you appear in court, you may plead not guilty and request a trial date be scheduled, or plead guilty or no contest and request a driving safety course, deferred disposition, or make payment arrangements for any fines assessed.

You may ask the Judge to assign your case for community service in lieu of paying a fine. The number of hours you work is determined by the amount of the fine and the violation itself. Typically, community service hours will involve projects such as the clean-up of city parks, city buildings, non-profit organizations, as well as many others.

Failure to Appear

If you fail to appear in court, notice will be sent to the Texas Department of Public Safety, and shall result in the suspension of your driver's license or prohibit you from obtaining a driver's license.

Address Notification

You and your parent or guardian are required by law to provide the Court, in writing, your current address and residence. If your place of residence changes, you have 7 days to notify the Court, in writing, of your new address and residence. Failure to keep the Court informed of your new residence may result in Failure to Appear and Failure to Notify charges filed against both you and your parent or guardian. The obligation of keeping the Court informed of your current address and residence is required until your case is finalized/terminated.

Note: The municipal court does not answer any legal questions of any nature. The personnel are allowed to explain court proceedings and procedures only. If you need legal advice, please contact an attorney.